Rancho PeÃ±asquitos, San Diego, California
Rancho PeÃ±asquitos and neighborhood boundaries
Rancho PeÃ±asquitos is roughly bounded:Geography
- On the north byÂ Black Mountain RanchÂ andÂ Rancho Bernardo
- On the south byÂ Los PeÃ±asquitos Canyon PreserveÂ andÂ Mira Mesa
- On the east byÂ Carmel Mountain RanchÂ andÂ Sabre Springs
- On the west byÂ Torrey HighlandsÂ andÂ Del Mar Mesa.
The highest point in the community is Black Mountain, which rises to an elevation of 1,500Â feet (460Â m).
Native American history within the area dates back as far as 7,000 years ago. Remains of the prehistoric culture can still be found. Rancho de los PeÃ±asquitos was San Diego County’s first MexicanÂ land grant. In 1823, oneÂ leagueÂ (4,243Â acres; 17 kmÂ²) was awarded to CaptainFrancisco MarÃa Ruiz, a Commandant of theÂ Presidio of San Diego. This one league was at the eastern part of the Los Penasquitos Canyon and extended intoÂ Sabre SpringsÂ and up toÂ Rancho Bernardo.
State Route 56Â traverses east-west through the central portion of the community.Â Interstate 15Â passes on the east side of Rancho PeÃ±asquitos. Black Mountain Road is the main North-South artery, and Carmel Mountain Road/Rancho PeÃ±asquitos Boulevard is the main East-West artery.
- Fiesta de los PeÃ±asquitos is a community oriented street faire held on the First Sunday in May
- In Honor of the Fourth of July, Westview High School features a fireworks show (which until recently was hosted by Mt. Carmel High School) (This show usually is held on July 3rd).
- Christmas Card LaneÂ (starting at Oviedo Street – off Black Mtn. Rd) from Dec 10 until Dec 31.
Fire protectionÂ andÂ emergency medical servicesÂ are provided by theÂ San Diego Fire-Rescue Departmentfire station #40 at 13393 Salmon River Rd in the area of Rancho PeÃ±asquitos. This station is in the 7th Battalion.
- PQ Skate Park
- Canyonside Recreation Center
- Hilltop Recreation Center
- PeÃ±asquitos Creek Park
- Black Mountain Open Space Park
- Los PeÃ±asquitos Canyon Preserve
- Twin Trails Neighborhood Park
Rancho PeÃ±asquitos is in theÂ Poway Unified School District.
- Abraxas High School
- Del Norte High School
- Mt. Carmel High School
- Poway High School
- Rancho Bernardo High School
- Westview High School
- Bernardo Heights Middle School
- Black Mountain Middle School
- Meadowbrook Middle School
- Mesa Verde Middle School
- Twin Peaks Middle School
- Oak Valley Middle School
- Adobe Bluffs Elementary School
- Canyon View Elementary School
- Chaparral Elementary School
- Creekside Elementary School
- Deer Canyon Elementary School
- Garden Road Elementary School
- Highland Ranch Elementary School
- Los PeÃ±asquitos Elementary School
- Midland Elementary School
- Monterey Ridge Elementary School
- Morning Creek Elementary School
- Painted Rock Elementary School
- Park Village Elementary School
- Pomerade Elementary School
- Rolling Hills Elementary School
- Shoal Creek Elementary School
- Stone Ranch Elementary School
- Sundance Elementary School
- Sunset Hills Elementary School
- Tierra Bonita Elementary School
- Turtleback Elementary School
- Valley Elementary School
- Westwood Elementary School