Miramar, San Diego, California
Most residents live on theÂ Marine Corps Air Station MiramarÂ (formerly Miramar Naval Air Station). Miramar was the site of the realÂ TOPGUNÂ made famous by the movieÂ Top GunÂ inÂ 1986. NAS Miramar was realigned by theÂ Base Realignment and ClosureÂ (BRAC) program in 1995 and turned over to the Marine Corps as a fixed wing and helicopter base in 1996. To the north of MCAS Miramar is the suburbÂ Mira Mesa.
The Miramar submarket consists of approximately fourteen million square feet of distribution, warehouse, office, and Miramar Road frontage retail related space. Miramar is one ofÂ San Diego County‘s most recognized real estate markets due in part to its central location, size, and traditional industrial characteristics. This market historically maintains one of the highest occupancy rates in the county. Recent occupancy rates were approximately 91%.
Miramar was originally part ofÂ Scripps Ranch, founded byÂ Edward W. Scripps. He named the home he built on the ranch Miramar in the 1890s, afterÂ Archduke Maximilian‘s castleÂ MiramareÂ inÂ Trieste, Italy. The name eventually became applied to the surrounding mesa. Loosely translated fromÂ SpanishÂ it means “a view of the sea”.
Before becoming a military base in 1950, Miramar was a small, isolated community centered around a railroad station. No buildings from the original Miramar survive.