Allied Gardens, San Diego, California
Allied GardensÂ is a residential community in the eastern part ofÂ San Diego, California. It neighborsÂ San CarlosÂ to the east,Â Del CerroÂ to the north, theÂ College AreaÂ to the southeast andÂ GrantvilleÂ to the southwest.
Allied Gardens was developed by Louis L. Kelton and Walter Bollenbacher in 1955. They purchased the 1,000 acres (4Â kmÂ²) from the Waring estate. Their original business name was the Allied Contractors, hence the name.
The Allied Gardens Recreation Center and Allied Gardens Pool are located on Greenbrier Avenue, next to Lewis Middle School. Further down the hill, just off Greenbrier on Estrella, are the community Little League fields. The area has a small business district located on Waring road between Orcutt and Zion, where it borders the community of Grantville. The abundance of parks and schools in the community has resulted in a very family-friendly reputation.
The area is served by theÂ San Diego Unified School District. The neighborhood contains Foster Elementary School, Marvin Elementary School, and Lewis Middle School as well as Xara Garden School (a publicÂ charter schoolÂ for children in kindergarten through second grade). Older students from the area attendÂ Patrick Henry High School, located between San Carlos and Del Cerro on Wandermere Ave.
The area is part of City Council District 7, represented by Councilwoman Marti Emerald. It is part of theÂ Navajo Community Planning Area. In 2005 the City Council granted the area status as a redevelopment area.